Tuesday 8 February 2011

'Does it offend you, yeah?' and 'Sam's town' digipak ideas



This album cover from the band ‘Does it offend you, yeah?’ is a good example of a similar effect to the one I shall be trying to achieve with my own design. With this artwork it is mainly the graffiti effect of the writing that I am focussing on. The use of a graffiti styled font presents an urban theme and connotes youth culture within the genre. As the target audience of my own digipak will be an urban, youth culture, I see this to be a good example of the style of writing I will be using on my own digipak.

The style of this graffiti does not so much connote the ska genre of my own productions, and instead works very effectively with bright, bold colours and a scruffy font against a dark background to present the electro/alternative genre of the band them self, as they too much like my own band have a youthful, urban target audience. For this reason, a graffiti style font (though likely to be a much bolder, clear font typical of the ska genre) is what I want to use for my own digipak.

I will be using this graffiti design on both the front and back of my digipak. On the back to present the track titles of the E.P., and on the front to use for the E.P’s name (Moneygrabber) up against an urban background, written on the wall of the background much like the style used on the next album cover...

... ‘Sam’s Town’ is an album by the alternative rock band ‘The Killers’. As you can see from the album artwork, there is a person in the foreground, with the name of the band and album appearing as if it has been painted on the wall of the urban background. It is a combination of these two album covers that I want to use for my own work. Like Sam’s town, I want to have the actors (as band members) in the foreground of the shot, with an urban graffiti wall as the background. Then I want the name of my E.P. to appear on the wall in the background as if it has been painted on like graffiti. As explained previously in this post, the graffiti and urban mise-en-scene is a typical convention of the ska genre and connotes the youthful target audience of which I am aiming it at.

1 comment:

  1. The font on the "The Killers" album would be effective on the front panel of your digipak cover - note the negative representation of the female model - this image conforms to the way the music industry objectives women.

    ReplyDelete